The Postman Always Rings Twice. John Garfield and Lana Turner co-star in this 1946 film adaptation of James M. Cain’s classic crime novel. Garfield plays a drifter who stops at a roadside diner with a “Man Wanted” sign. He discovers that the sign has a double meaning. Lana Turner makes one of the great entrances in film history. 113 minutes. CC.
Years ago, I thought that there was little chemistry, sexual or otherwise, between Garfield and Turner but the more I view this film the more I like it, as well as the performances of the two stars. Garfield was at his best and Turner never looked or acted better.
The fine supporting cast included Cecil Kellaway as Turner's naive and hapless husband, Leon Ames as a conniving district attorney, and Hume Cronyn who is especially good as a sleazy defense counsel.
Eddie Muller's intro on TCM's Noir Alley explains "Postman's" box office success as well as its influence on subsequent films. ###


No comments:
Post a Comment