Richard Basehart and Audrey Totter star in this 1949 film about a mild-mannered druggist whose wife is two-timing him. With his dreams for a home and family shattered, he plots revenge. Directed by John Berry. CC. 91 minutes.
Richard Basehart is probably best remembered for his role as Ishmael in John Huston's Moby Dick. Audrey Totter's portrayal of the nasty unfaithful wife ranks her with Hollywood's top femme fatales. The supporting cast includes Barry Sullivan, William Conrad, Tom D'Andrea, and the beautiful Cyd Charisse in a rare non-dancing role.
I like this film but I have to admit that the police tactics depicted are hard to imagine even back in 1949. I'm not referring to harsh interrogation or brutality. To entrap the prime suspect the detective makes love to her, and even invites her to spend a weekend with him in Acapulco. Here is a link to Eddie Muller's intro that provides informative background on the participants.
![]() |
| Audrey Totter and Richard Basehart |
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment