Monday, December 15, 2025

I'll Be Seeing You


 I’ll Be Seeing You. Joseph Cotton and Ginger Rogers star in this 1944 Holiday drama with film noir trappings. Two strangers meet on a train, but she is a woman with a past and he is a soldier suffering from war trauma. Director William Dieterle not only brings out the chemistry between the two stars, but also gets the most out of a fine supporting cast, including a teen-age Shirley Temple. 85 minutes. CC.

 Ginger Rogers turned to dramatic roles after the break-up of her great dancing partnership with Fred Astaire in the 1930s. Rogers had won a Best Actress award in 1941 for her performance in Kitty Foyle, but I believe she is much better in this film. Joseph Cotton, fresh off his roles in Citizen Kane, and The Magnificent Ambersons, is equally fine. The film’s theme song, the popular wartime melody, “I’ll Be Seeing You,” helped make it a huge hit at the box-office, but it is largely forgotten today. Here is Jo Stafford's rendition.

Joseph Cotton and Ginger Rogers

 


No comments:

Post a Comment